If you’re wondering how to clean HEPA filter, Pre-filter, and Activated Carbon filter, then you’re at the right place. Here we will show you how you can clean various filters and maximize their filter life.
An air purifier is one of the most wonderful devices in our day-to-day life. This air cleaning device can remove airborne pollutants and provide clean and healthy air.
The main components of every air purifier are its filters. As it captures pollutants, it gets dirty as time passes. Therefore, cleaning these filters to maintain purification efficiency is a must.
How To Clean HEPA Filter, Pre-Filter, And Activated Carbon filter?
How To Clean HEPA Filters
The HEPA filter is one of the most effective and mostly used filters in modern Air purifiers, Vacuum cleaners, HVAC systems, and Cars. It is made of glass fiber, coated animal hair, and various synthetic fibers. It can capture dust, dust mites, pollen, viruses, bacteria, pet fur, dander, and other 99.97% of airborne pollutants up to 0.3 microns in size.
More info: How to clean the HEPA filter and take care of it
Cleaning HEPA Filters By Vacuuming
The best way to clean the HEPA filter is by using a vacuum cleaner. Just take out the HEPA filter and place it in front of a vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner will pull out the harmful pollutants from the filter. The vacuum cleaner pulls out a decent amount of pollutants and makes the filter reusable.
Cleaning HEPA Filters By Using Water
Washing with water can remove a decent amount of pollutants from HEPA filters. Be careful when cleaning the filter by washing with water, as you may lessen the fiber density of the filter, and eventually, the efficiency may be hampered.
How To Clean Pre-Filters
The pre-filter is an integral component of most modern air purifiers and is designed to remove large particles, including dust, dust mites, pollens, hair, pet fur, insects, etc. Capturing large airborne particles can protect the main filters and maintain the air purifier’s efficiency. Air purifiers with pre-filters are compatible with buildings, transport, public areas, respirators, and workplaces.
Following Instructions Can clean Pre-Filter:
- Turn off the air purifier.
- Remove the front cover with the pre-filter.
- Detach the pre-filter from the front cover.
- Let’s wash the filter with water. Don’t use any chemicals or soaps.
- Make sure it is dry before we place the pre-filter back with the front cover.
- Put them back into the air purifier.
- Turn on the air purifier.
What is Activated Carbon or Charcoal Filter
The activated carbon filter is one of the most commonly used filters in water and air purifiers. This one controls odor and harmful chemicals from water, air, and other mediums. An activated carbon or charcoal filter acts as a magnet for various odors. It can capture odor and various chemicals from water and air.
How To Clean Activated Carbon Filters
Two methods can make activated carbon or charcoal filters. Here, we will discuss the most efficient method of making activated carbon or charcoal filters.
- At first, activated carbon is placed in a vacuum chamber free from oxygen and heated to an extremely high temperature of 600 – 900 degrees Celcius.
- Then this compound is exposed to various chemical components, most likely argon and nitrogen.
- Then it is heated to an extremely high temperature of 600 – 1200 degrees Celcius, and afterward, it is exposed to steam and oxygen.
- The pore structure is formed through these processes, and the surface area is significantly increased.
- Turn off the system and remove the carbon filter that is needed to be cleaned.
- Remove charcoal cartridge or loose charcoal, depending on the filtering mechanism.
- If the filter is of loose charcoal, then pour warm water through it to rinse out the impure particles from the filter.
- If the filter is of the charcoal cartridge, then allow the warm water to flow through the cartridge for a few minutes.
- Now hold the rinsed part near the ear, and if you hear a sort of sounds like subtle cracking or pooping, then the filter is ok to use. Otherwise, the carbon is not activated, and the filter needs to be replaced.
- Dry the filter and place it back in the system.
Therefore, we can easily clean HEPA, pre, and Activated Carbon filters using vacuum cleaners and water. Make sure to know if the filters are washable or not. If it is not, then you can’t clean the filter by washing it. For better air purification, make sure the filters are cleaned to stay away from various harmful microbes.
In this how to clean HEPA filter, Pre-filter, and Activated Carbon filter article, we have discussed the cleaning process of various filters. Hope you’ve got the solution that you’ve been looking for.
Leave a Reply